Imagine Canada is a national charitable organization working to strengthen Canadian charities and nonprofits so they can better serve individuals and communities here and around the world. They created this Report to provide a demographic profile of the diverse nonprofit sector workforce in Canada, which represents 14% of Canadian employee jobs.
- Women make up more than three quarters of the nonprofit sector, and immigrants, Black, Indigenous, and racialized people are also overrepresented.
- Nonprofit workers are paid poorly compared to the economy-wide average, even though on they are more educated.
- Men in the nonprofit sector are overrepresented in leadership roles relative to other positions in the workforce.
Policy & Practice Implications
- The report discusses some of the implications of stereotypes of the nonprofit sector as feminine, including underfunding and over monitoring.
- The report provides recommendations to reduce inequities in the nonprofit workforce, with specifical calls to action for funders, governments, and nonprofit leaders.